The house party: Country homes are earning their keep by hosting lavish weekends for stag and hen groups:
There's only one sensible thing to do in a property downturn - and that's throw a party.
Owners of large homes who need extra income to make ends meet have been flooding lettings agencies with their properties, asking for them to be advertised as 'party houses'.
These homes can be hired for special occasions such as stag and hen nights, birthdays and activity groups.
There's been an increase in people wanting to rent out their homes since the recession,' says Daniel Landen, MD of Release Travel, a travel agent specialising in group weekends. 'Owners who previously wouldn't have considered letting out their own homes, or even their holiday properties, now need extra income. Renting them out this way causes minimal disruption, but can be financially rewarding. It also offers our groups a superb alternative to a “normal” type of weekend in a hotel'
Groups as small as six people will hire a large house for a two or three-night weekend. For many properties accommodating eight to 12 people over a weekend typically bring in as much revenue as
Houses near the coast tend to attract a higher number of weekly lets while those inland, especially near large cities, appeal to those renting for party weekends such as stag weekends and hen weekends
Many houses are large -the most popular hire is for ten to 16 people - but some have as few as four bedrooms.
If in the right location with the right facilities they can be used for groups looking to coincide their weekend with a few activities – quad biking, clay pigeon shooting, surfing, coasteering and 4x4 driving are all popular activities that Release Travel can organise for their groups. Caterers, waiters and beauticians can also visit the properties for extra services.
Here are some “must have” features that Release Travel recommend you should consider:
* The same number of bathrooms as bedrooms, ideally en-suite. Most people don’t want to share a bathroom with anyone else.
* A spacious entertainment room or a mini-cinema. Features like an indoor heated swimming pool are a bonus.
* Well-maintained furniture and modern equipment ranging from DVDs to dishwashers and microwave ovens.
* Heating and plumbing systems good enough to make sure everyone gets hot water and warm rooms on demand.
* Off-street parking.
* Appropriate safety features such as emergency lighting, smoke detectors and sprinklers, and fire and security alarms.
For more information on extensive UK country home options please contact Release Travel on 01202 757777 or visit their website – www.releasetravel.co.uk